Accessibility Policies and Multi-Year Accessibility Plan
This 2022-27 accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that will be in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
Statement of Commitment
Bethany Christian Living is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005
Accessible Emergency Information
Bethany Christian Living is committed to providing customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible format or with appropriate communication supports upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
Training and Education
Bethany Christian Living will provide training to employees, volunteers and other staff members on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
Beginning in January 1, 2015Bethany Christian Living is taking the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws.
- Design and provide training on the requirements of the IASR and the Ontario Human Rights Code as it pertains to persons with disabilities to all staff, volunteers, contractors and others through Surge Learning online
- Keep and maintain records of training provided
- Request 3 rd party providers to sign-off that they are AODA compliant
Effective January 1, 2014 Bethany Christian Living is taking the following steps to ensure employees consider the needs of people with disabilities when designing, procuring or acquiring self-service kiosks.
- Ensure accessibility features are incorporated when procuring or acquiring self-service kiosks
Information and Communication Standards
Bethany Christian Living is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs. Bethany Christian Living has taken the following steps to make all websites and content on those sites conform with WCAG 2.0, Level A Ensure that www.bethanylodge.org meets the requirements
Bethany Christian Living will take the following steps to ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request.
- Feedback forms will be available on the Bethany Lodge website and on site and any feedback process will be provided in accessible formats upon request and in a timely manner. (Feedback processes include email, mail, phone and website)
- The public will be notified about the availability of accessible formats and communication supports
Bethany Christian Living is committed to fair and accessible employment practices.
Recruitment, Assessment and Selection:
Beginning on January 1, 2016 Bethany Christian Living has taken the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, we will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment, assessment and selection processes.
- Accommodation notice are included as part of the recruitment process (scheduling of interview, assessment process, location of interview
- If an applicant requests an accommodation, Bethany Christian Living consults with the applicant and arrange for provision of suitable accommodations
- Accommodation reference has been added to employment letters
- If an offer is made to an applicant, an individual accommodation plan may be created where necessary
Documented Individual Accommodation Plans/Return to Work Process
Commencing January 1, 2016, Bethany Christian Living has taken the following steps to put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability.
- Policies reflect processes where an employee with a disability is appropriately and fairly accommodated. These policies facilitate an employee’s return to work after absenteeism due to a disability.
- Provide employees with disabilities the accessible formats and communication support they require to do their jobs effectively and to be apprised of information that is generally available to all employees in the workplace.
Performance Management, Career Development and Redeployment
Commencing January 1, 2016, Bethany Christian Living has undertaken the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are considered if Bethany Christian Living is using performance management, career development and redeployment processes.
- Use performance management processes that take into account the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities
- Provide employees with disabilities the opportunity to advance within the organization
- Consider the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities before moving them to other positions, so that employees can continue to have their accommodation needs met
Design of Public Spaces
Bethany Christian Living will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces. Public spaces include:
- Recreational trails/beach access routes
- Outdoor public eating areas like rest stops or picnic areas
- Outdoor play spaces, like playgrounds in provincial parks and local communities
- Outdoor paths of travel, like sidewalks, ramps, stairs, curb ramps, rest areas and accessible pedestrian signals
- Accessible off street parking
- Service-related elements like service counters, fixed queuing lines and waiting areas
Bethany Christian Living will put the following procedures in place to prevent service disruptions to its accessible parts of its public spaces.
- In the event of a service disruption, we will notify the public of the service disruption and alternatives available.
For more information on this accessibility plan: